Team chat (Mattermost)¶
The team chat module installs Mattermost Team Edition platform inside NethServer.
Mattermost is an Open Source, private cloud Slack-alternative. Check out the excellent official documentation: https://docs.mattermost.com/.
Mattermost installation needs a dedicated virtual host, an FQDN like
Before proceeding with the configuration, make sure to create the corresponding DNS record. If NethServer act as the DNS server of your LAN, please refer to DNS.
If your server is using a Let’s Encrypt certificate as default, make also sure to have a corresponding public DNS record. See Server certificate for more info.
How to configure:
- Access Team chat page inside the Server Manager
- Check Enable Mattermost Team Edition, then enter a valid FQDN inside Virtual host name field (eg.
- Open the entered host name inside the browser, eg:
https://chat.nethserver.org. At first access, a wizard will create the administrator user
The following features are enabled by default:
- mail notifications
- push notifications for mobile apps
- redirect from HTTP to HTTPS
Mattermost authentication is not integrated with any Account Provider. The Mattermost administrator should take care of users and teams creation. To ease this task, the system administrator can use the Import users button..
The command will:
- create a default team named as the Company from Organization contacts
- read all users from local or remote Account Providers and create them inside Mattermost
Please note that:
- users disabled in the Server Manager, or already existing in Mattermost, will be skipped
- a random password will be generated for each user
Users are not automatically synced inside Mattermost.
Each time a user is created or removed, remember to execute
mattermost-bulk-user-create command or
manually create the user using Mattermost administration web interface.