Release notes 7¶
NethServer release 7
- ISO release 7.9.2009 “final” replaces any previous ISO
- This release is based on CentOS 7 (2009)
- CentOS 7 will receive security updates until 2024-06-30
- List of NethServer 7 ISO releases
- List of changes
- List of known bugs
- Discussions around possible bugs
Major changes on 2020-11-26¶
ISO release 7.9.2009 “final” replaces any previous ISO 7.8.2003
The old Server Manager (namely Nethgui) is not available by default on new installations. To configure the system access the new Server Manager on port
Old Server Manager can be still installed from Software Center.
CGP (Collectd Graph Panel), EveBox, Rspamd UI, Lightsquid and Ntopng are still available on HTTPS port 980, even if the old Server Manager has not been installed.
On new installations, users belonging to the
wheelgroup are now granted SSH and SFTP access. Note that users created by the Anaconda ISO installer can be members of
wheel. See SSH for details.
On new installations, SSH weak ciphers are now disabled by default. To enable weak ciphers uncheck the Disable weak ciphers option inside the page.
Default TLS policy is
2020-05-10. TLS 1.1, TLS 1.0, SSL v3, and SSL v2 are disabled. See TLS policy for details.
New installations of Nextcloud honor the StartTLS setting of the Active Directory accounts provider. As old installations ignore that setting and always send clear-text passwords, it is recommended to upgrade them to the new behavior. Make sure the remote AD accounts provider supports StartTLS, then run the following commands
config setprop nextcloud HonorAdStartTls enabled signal-event nethserver-sssd-save
Finally check that the StartTLS option is enabled in System > Users & Groups > [Account provider] > Edit provider. See also LDAP account for additional applications.
To prevent errors during Nextcloud upgrades, the
Netdata is now installed by default to serve charts for the Server Manager. Some plugins have been disabled to reduce resource usage. To enable those plugins see netdata configuration .
nethserver-ndpiinstallation a reboot is needed if the running kernel version is less than
Mattermost DB was upgraded to PostgreSQL 12. The PostgreSQL 9.4 instance is stopped and disabled automatically by the nethserver-mattermost upgrade procedure if no other service requires it.
Ensure the old service is stopped and disabled:
systemctl status rh-postgresql94-postgresql
PostgreSQL 9.4 can be uninstalled with the following command:
yum remove nethserver-postgresql94
DAHDI tools and kernel module are no longer installed by default as part of
nethserver-freepbxpackage. If the system needs DAHDI software for special telephony related hardware, install it from Software Center by selecting the
DAHDI drivers and toolsmodule.
On updated machines where DAHDI is not required, these packages can be removed with the following command:
yum remove dahdi-tools-libs dahdi-linux kmod-dahdi-linux dahdi-firmware
Major changes on 2020-05-05¶
ISO release 7.8.2003 “final” replaces any previous ISO 7.7.1908
The new Server Manager implementation based on Cockpit is now marked as stable
On new installations, the System > Settings > Shell policy > Override the shell of users option is enabled by default. Normal users will be able to log in to the new Server Manager only if System > Settings > User settings page > Enable user settings page option has been enabled, or if the user has been delegated to access at least one module.
SSH access is limited to
rootand users inside the designated administrative group (
Domain Adminsby default). More granular permissions can be tuned from the SSH page.
All IMAP actions will be logged by default into
Shared seen flag is enabled by default for shared mail folders
Mail server connection limit for each user has been increased to avoid errors on web mail clients
When creating a new POP3 connector, filter check is disabled by default
OpenVPN roadwarrior server will use the
subnettopology as default
To increase security, when authentication mode is set to
Username, Password and Certificate, OpenVPN roadwarrior server will enforce a match between user name and certificate CN
Default maximum PHP memory size has been increased from 128MB to 512MB
Nextcloud now uses PHP 7.3 stack to improve performance and support widely used plugins
Ejabberd has been upgraded to 20.03
POP3 proxy (P3Scan) has been deprecated and can’t be installed anymore from Software Center
PHP 7.1 is now obsolete and has been removed from upstream repositories: restored machines will need to migrate custom applications to PHP 7.2 or higher
Major changes on 2019-10-07¶
- ISO release 7.7.1908 “final” replaces any previous ISO 7.6.1810
- The new Server Manager implementation based on Cockpit reached Beta stage and is available by default on new installations. Existing systems can add the new Server Manager module from the Software Center page. See also Accessing the Server Manager.
- The Software updates origin (locked/unlocked) feature was removed from the “Software Center” page. NethServer can be upgraded manually from the Software Center page when the next “point release” is released. See also Software center.
- Delta RPM files have been removed by the upstream distribution and are no longer available from YUM repositories
- OpenSSH configuration was removed from TLS policy settings and reverted to upstream defaults.
- Starting with the new Server Manager based on Cockpit, the Mail module feature Shared mailboxes has been renamed to Public mailboxes.
- The Junk public mailbox is created during the Mail module installation, granting IMAP access to the root user; further permissions can be added from the new Server Manager Email application or with an IMAP/ACL client, like Roundcube.
- Only users with enabled shell can access the new Server Manager. From the old Server Manager, go to the Users and groups page and enable the Remote shell (SSH) option for the selected user. From the new Server Manager, go to the Users and groups page and enable the Shell option for the selected user.
- Official ClamAV antivirus signatures are disabled by default.
- The web interface for selective restore has been removed from the old Server Manager. A new one is available inside Cockpit, see Selective restore of files.
- As default, the disk usage analyzer (duc) scans only the root file system contents. Other mount points are ignored.
Major changes on 2018-12-17¶
- ISO release 7.6.1810 “final” replaces any previous ISO 7.5.1804
- PHP 5.6 from SCL has reached end-of-life and is thus deprecated. See PHP 5.6 SCL
- Default TLS policy is
- Default systems log retention has been increased to 52 weeks
- The Zeroconf network protocol is now disabled by default
- By default, Evebox events are retained for 30 days. The new default is applied to upgraded systems as a bug fix
- NDPI module has been updated to version 2.4 which no longer recognize some old protocols. See NDPI 2.4 for the list of removed protocols
- SMTP server can be directly accessed from trusted networks
- PPPoE connections use rp-pppoe plugin by default to improve network speed
For repositories that support GPG metadata signature, YUM runs now an integrity check (
repo_gpgcheck=1) for additional security. This new default setting is applied automatically unless a
.repofile was changed locally. In that case an
.rpmnewfile is created instead of overwriting the local changes. Rename the
.repoto apply the new defaults. This is the list of files to be checked:
Major changes on 2018-06-11¶
- ISO release 7.5.1804 “final” replaces any previous ISO 7.5.1804 “rc” and “beta”
- The Email module is now based on Rspamd
- MX DNS record override for LAN hosts has been removed. Removed
- Host name aliases are converted into
hostsDB records. See Additional host name aliases
/etc/fstabis no longer an expanded template. See Requirements and User home directories for details
- Default permissions for Shared folders is Grant full control to the creator
- Default TLS policy is
- Default Server Manager session idle timeout is 60 minutes, session life time is 8 hours
- Quality of Service (QoS) implementation now uses FireQOS, current configuration is automatically migrated. See Traffic shaping
- The menu entry Automatic updates in Server Manager was removed. Automatic updates are now configured from Software center > Configure. See Software updates
- The NethServer subscription module is available by default in new installations.
Run the following command to update the base module set on existing installations:
yum update @nethserver-iso
- The WebVirtMgr project is no longer maintained and the corresponding module has been removed along with nethserver-libvirt package. See Virtual machines chapter for details on how to use virtualization
Major changes on 2017-10-26¶
- ISO release 7.4.1708 “final” replaces the old ISOs 7.4.1708 “beta1” and 7.3.1611 “update 1”
- The local AD account provider applies updates to the Samba DC instance automatically (#5356) Latest Samba DC version is 4.6.8
- The Software center page warns when a new upstream release is available (#5355)
- Added FreePBX 14 module
- Squid has been patched for a smoother web navigation experience when using SSL transparent proxy
- Ntopng 3 replaces Bandwidthd, the Server Manager has a new “top talkers” page which tracks hosts network usage
- Suricata can be configured with multiple categories rules
- EveBox can report traffic anomalies detected by Suricata
- Nextcloud 12.0.3
- Web antivirus based on ICAP instead of ECAP
- Web filters: ufdbGuard updated to 1.33.4, small UI improvements on web
- Diagtools: added speedtest
- ufdbGuard updated to release 1.33.4
- WebTop4 has been removed
Major changes on 2017-07-31¶
- ISO release 7.3.1611 “update 1” replaces the previous ISO 7.3.1611 “Final”
- Configuration backup page enhancement
- Accounts provider page enhancement
- Migration from sme8 and upgrade from ns6 procedures
- OpenvPN: improve net2net tunnels
- WebTop 5.0.7
- Backup data: basic WebDAV support for backups and storage stats
- UI tweaks for IPSec tunnels
- Web proxy: support divert and priority rules
- NextCloud 12
- Network diagnostic tools page
Major changes on 2017-01-30¶
- ISO release 7.3.1611 “Final” replaces the previous ISO 7.3.1611 “RC4”
- Installer: added new manual installation method
- Account providers: “administrators” group has been replaced by “domain admins” group (Server Manager access)
- Mail server: fix pseudonym expansion for groups
- Mail server: enable user shared mailbox by default (User shared mailbox)
- Mail server: specific per-domain pseudonym now override generic ones
- OpenVPN: start VPN clients on boot
- Web filter: fix group-based profiles
- Firewall: fix selection of time conditions
- IPS: update configuration for latest pulledpork release
Deprecated features and packages¶
PHP 5.6 SCL¶
To avoid problems with existing legacy applications, the PHP 5.6 SCL packages from CentOS 7.5.1804 will be still available from NethServer repositories during the 7.6.1810 lifetime.
PHP 5.6 SCL packages will not receive any security update. Very limited support will be provided as best-effort
nethserver-rh-php56-php-fpm package will be removed from the next
Developers are invited to update their modules, replacing
nethserver-rh-php71-php-fpm as soon as
The following protocols have been removed:
Rules using the above protocols, will be automatically disabled.
Upgrading NethServer 6 to NethServer 7¶
It is possible to upgrade the previous major release of NethServer to 7, with a backup/restore strategy. See the Upgrade from NethServer 6 for details.
Server Manager access¶
If you want to grant Server Manager access to other users than root, please add the users to the “domain admins” group and execute:
config delete admins /etc/e-smith/events/actions/initialize-default-databases
The following packages were available in the previous 6 release and have been removed in 7:
- nethserver-collectd-web: replaced by nethserver-cgp
- nethserver-password: integrated inside nethserver-sssd
- nethserver-faxweb2: see the discussion faxweb2 vs avantfax.
- nethserver-fetchmail: replaced by getmail
- nethserver-ocsinventory, nethserver-adagios: due to compatibility problems with Nagios, these modules will be mantained only on NethServer 6 release
- nethserver-ipsec: IPSec tunnels are now implemented in nethserver-ipsec-tunnels, L2TP function has been dropped
|||Red Hat Software Collections Product Life Cycle – https://access.redhat.com/support/policy/updates/rhscl|
|||PHP supported versions – http://php.net/supported-versions.php|